Wednesday, November 01, 2006

First Day Back


ORN: 4 miles. No Watch. No Pain.

After my self-imposed seven day layoff (the longest I’ve been off since May 2004), I went out to run this morning, not fully sure what I’d find in my right knee.

Interestingly, there was none of the “runner’s knee” type of pain at all. This pain had literally stopped me on several runs after the marathon on Oct 1. I had no sense of that at all, for which I was very glad.

What I did notice was simply “something” on the outside of the right knee. Not a pain, just a “something.” It really felt much more like an ITB irritation, which I’ve worked through before. It wasn’t close to stopping me and was merely an annoyance. But, I’ll pay attention to it via stretching and massage.

Mentally, it was great to be back out running. I’m always a morning runner and when I went to bed last night, it felt like today was going to be a race day! That sense of excitement and anticipation was there. I woke up about 20 minutes before the alarm was set to go at 5:15…had it been race day, I would have arisen. But this morning I just drifted back for a while longer.

How nuts would any sane person think of this?? Excited to go out in the dark streets with 35 degree temps?? Oh my. I guess that’s why I have a blog.

Persevere.

7 comments:

Wes said...

Only a runner, baby! I just don't have the motivation to get up that early. With my oldest in high school, getting up at 6 AM has taken some getting used to. But ya never know! Good luck on the knee.

Backofpack said...

Funny, I thought the same thing about going out to run at 5:10 this morning in 25 degree temps! Most people would think we were nuts, but I enjoyed it. Glad to hear your layoff worked and your knee feels better.

Sarah said...

Glad to hear the pain is gone! I know exactly what you mean about that "something". Take care! : )

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're back out! Take it easy. This is my favorite weather.

Darrell said...

This is very good news. I can imagine how excited you must have felt. Just stay on that slow and easy path for awhile longer.

35 degrees, huh? Brrrrr.

I almost always have an easier time getting up on Sat and Sun, even earlier than M-F, to go for a run. Crazy? Maybe, but....

Running Chick said...

i had the same early-morning thought today, as i headed out in to the dark 44F air and it started to gently rain....with my dorky reflective vest and headlamp glowing. heh. the things we endure for the love of our sport.

i like what i'm hearing about the knee. and being the 'expert' on ITB, please let me URGE you to spend $20 on a foam roller. it's the best purchase i ever made.

susie said...

I will echo Dianna's comment about the foam roller. I think mine saved my running career. And we're heading out tomorrow in 20 degree weather!