Thursday, December 21, 2006

“Run, Forrest, Run!”


ORN: Wednesday: 1 mile, mild pain
Thursday: 3 miles, minimal pain

Today was the second of my ASTYM treatments. The PT asked me if I was running. When I told him I did one mile on three consecutive days, he looked me in the eye and said “If you want this therapy to work, you have to run more. Run! Like the way you want to run!”

I felt like Forrest Gump.

He worked on my right leg, with particular attention to my knee. Man, it hurt at times. And felt good when he was done.

As a treat, my new pair of Brooks Aderenline GTS6s arrive in the mail today…there is nothing quite so much fun, to me, as the first run in a new pair of shoes. So, after dinner, I took them out in the 53 degree drizzle to see just how far I could run.

Three miles. I felt the ITB after only about 200m. Amazingly, though, nothing changed in how it felt until about 2.8 miles. At that point, it got tighter, so I decided I could come inside and see what treat the box of chocolates had for me.

Will this progress continue?? I really don’t know. I’ll try to share publicly what I’m feeling. I’m kind of in awe of this. And, wow, is it great to be running again.

But further blogging will be a week away. We’re up at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow morning to fly to Portland, Oregon. We’ll meet our son Nathan there and head to Lincoln City on the coast to celebrate Christmas together. The weather looks like grey and rain…hope to get some rest, some family time, some hiking, some geocaching…and perhaps a few more runs.

Many, many Christmas thoughts to share, but it is too late now…those will keep for next week.

Merry Christmas. May the blessings of the season be with you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great news! Keep up the fantastic work. You will be back to your marathoning self in no time. Isn't Oregon always grey and rainy this time of year :-) Have a good time and safe trip! Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

The Oregon coast can be so beautiful in the winter. Hopefully you'll get a good storm to watch and some sunbreaks for those hikes and runs. Merry Christmas Joe! : )

Anonymous said...

Joe, I hope your flight doesn't go through Denver! Tell Nathan "hi" from us - and have a wonderful time. (By the way, it's pouring rain here, but Oregon is many miles away, so maybe...if you're lucky...)

Anonymous said...

"Run! Like the way you want to run!" - Who'd have thought you'd hear that as part of your therapy. That is pretty cool.

New shoes the first time out of the box in the rain? Now that's crazy.

Have a great trip out west and Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Joe. Enjoy the running:)

Anonymous said...

Have a happy holiday season. Bring on 2007!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Joe! I will be in Portland as well with the in-laws. Have a great time at the coast.

Anonymous said...

Wow- someone working on a knee injury and telling you to run! Rare find!

Merry Christmas!

Jodi