Friday, November 27, 2009

Not the decision I expected to make

ORN:  14.6 miles, R2/W1
 
Today was supposed to be a day of confirmation.  It was but not the way I expected it to be. 
 
The plan was to do a 22 mile run today, the final check up to clear the way for registering for the HUFF 50K trail race three weeks from Saturday.  I was really looking forward to this event...I've run the trails there twice and wanted to finish my first bona-fide ultra. 
 
Yet, in the back of my mind, I had to re-test my knee after the issues it showed me at Portland and then again two weeks after that.  So, I had not registered for the HUFF, figuring I would do the run today and then sign up. 
 
All was well until the 14.5 mile mark.  In a hurry, my LEFT knee gave me a bunch of twinges, the very same pain I felt in my right knee at Portland and then again later.  Whoa, where did that come from??  I took a walk break, tried again, and, yep, that same hard-to-describe knee pain.  I decided to shut it down.
 
My wife, a very insightful woman, had asked me to stick my cell phone in my fuel belt before I took off today.  "You remember you got stuck a long way from home last time you did this long a run."   Today was the first time I have EVER run with a cell phone.  And I needed it.  The knee let loose at the far point of the route.  I called, she drove...thanks, hon. 
 
So, what now?  I've seen pain both knees now.  I think it is best I forget the HUFF.  Maybe next year.  There is a spring marathon lurking...I think I scale back and ramp up for it. Lots of work I can do this winter on core strength too.
 
On Thanksgiving week, I have much to be thankful for.  Doing or not doing races is not the central thing.  Good health is and boy, have I been blessed on that count.  This will all be fine. 
 
Persevere. 

8 comments:

Ultra Monk said...

Knees: my trainer gave me about 4 exercises which really helped. Find a trainer to help you.

Squats using a ball on the wall.
Reverse lunges.
Step ups.
Clams.

Darrell said...

Shoot, too bad about the knee. Odd that it is other one though. I so don't want all those people who continually spout off "you are going to kill your knees" to be right. They aren't of course. Spirit is on the mark with the exercises those are all things I did while I had that really bad IT problem. I think they helped, along with rest and an easy measured come back.

One more thing, we both know are wives are the smart ones. ;-)

Bob A said...

So sorry about your knees. Better to be cautious now so you can keep running for a long time.

Backofpack said...

Joe,
I'm not trying to talk you in the ultra, but I do want to say that running on trails is completely different than running on roads and MUCH easier on the joints. Maybe a test on trails would be good? Either way, I'm sure you know what you are doing and have made a good decision.

David said...

I believe I commented on Facebook where I think I saw your post in Notes. Are you double-posting to optimize mediums?
The knee sounds like a problem that needs attention before anything else happens. Find that safe ground to mend and recover. Good luck, you Maniac.

Wes said...

My long run petered out at 10.3. Not marathon ready, but that's OK. I got other things to worry about :-)

Sarah said...

I'm sorry your knee is giving you trouble! But I know you'll figure it out. There will always be more races. : )

DREW said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. I've got you into my Google Reader now, so I'll be following along.

Never had any serious knee experience, so can only hope others can give you good advice. Hope it doesn't slow you down for long.